Sunday, 23 September 2007

The Beast of War - Price of learning in terms of honour

Sometimes one´s mind can predict the future, this post was started prior Monday the 24th where I felt like a shit.

The Beast of War is movie of a tank crew belonging to a Soviet tank unit in the Afghanistan war which destroys a Pashtun village, the tanks gets separated from the unit and enters a dead end valley pursued by a band of mujahideen fighters.

The tank crew is made up of four Soviets and one Afghan. As night falls and the crew sets up camp, the afghan tank crewman stablishes a relationship with the lectured tank driver about the fundamental principles of the Pashtun people's code of honour: melmastia (hospitality), badal (revenge), and nanawatai, which requires even an enemy to be given sanctuary if he asks.

I remember clearly that when the driver asks afghan why he accepts the put down treatment of the commander. The afghan says is "the price of modernity, we have to put up with it to become a developed nation learning from the USSR".

After that the commander asks to send the afghan to measure the depth of a stream, then using a machine gun, kills the afghan.

I feel like the afghan a little bit, I am here in London to enjoy the benefits of being in the invesment banking industry, however, I feel treated like an inferior being who comes to clean the boots of the Queen's bank employees.

And they used the machine gun next day...

No comments: